[thelist] Win2K - Services.exe 100% CPU usage

Peter Kaulback pkaulbak at idirect.ca
Sun Dec 30 07:59:32 CST 2001

At 01:27 PM 12/30/2001 +0530, you wrote:
>Recently, Windows Media Player stopped stretching MPEG files to fit the
>window, and played it only at the original size. I tried to find a
>solution to this (including thelist), but couldn't. My last resort was
>reinstalling Windows (it's bloody annoying that it reinstalls IE5 over my IE6).
>
>This didn't fix the Media Player problem, unfortunately. But it apparently
>changed the startup type of some services back to default :(
>
>I turned off all unnecessary services again (setting them to "Manual"
>instead of "Disabled") and the problem is fixed.

What type of motherboard do you have in your system, and does it contain a
VIA chipset? If you have a PCI modem then the VIA chipset may slow it down
perhaps contributing to the high cpu usage at dialup connection, it's a bug
with VIA. When you reinstalled did you reformat and reinstall or did you
reinstall over windows, only a clean installation will clean up to the
original state.  Are you running the latest drivers for all your
hardware.  Have you tried moving cards to different slots on the
motherboard, some boards are picky and need a reminder from time to time.
A tip is coming ;-)

Peter Kaulback