[thelist] Image database consultant needed?

Ed emagin at onebox.com
Wed Jan 2 10:54:05 CST 2002

Check out fotki.  It's a very good example of an online photo storage system
(although it is album oriented it's a clean implementation.)
It runs on FreeBSD, and has C++ code to compress large images on the fly to
create albums. You could, of course buy it from them and modify it to retain
originals, etc.

http://fotki.com

Did you consider that if there are users in far-flung places around the
world, and you are working with hi-res imagery, you will have bandwidth
problems?

 : Thanks Chris,
 : I know about Portfolio (the photographer uses it). I just thought that:
 : a) there might be more to it than that
 : b) someone might be interested/experienced in getting that, or any other,
 : system up and running for them in an efficient, timely,
 : professional manner