[thelist] Hardware list or reviews of web servers?

Chris George chrisg at gsnet.com
Wed Jan 2 16:41:02 CST 2002

Hi all!

I hope everyone had a great holiday season.

To usher in the new year, it has come to our attention that our Web Site has
finally outgrew our Web server.

So now we need to make some decisions.  Right now it¹s running on a dual
P2-300 with a Gig of ram, Raid 4 (I think) HD¹s, Redhat/Apache and we
connect to a SQL database on the same line.

Does anyone have any recommendations on where we can go for decent server
reviews (of out of the box servers), or best configurations if we want to
roll our own?   Or even what they prefer ­ hand rolled or whatever.  What
we¹re really looking for here is the most cost effective solution ­ but by
that I mean the most bang for the buck ­ we have the infrastructure to not
bother paying for extra luxuries/niceties/conveniences.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

--
Chris George
Edmonton, Alberta