[thelist] Also Graphics Related

Bob Fowler bob at rjf.ca
Thu Jan 3 10:38:50 CST 2002

Salvatore,

Although this won't help with your problem (A free Image component), I am
currently using ASPImage to do exactly what you want.

On my personal site, I like to be able to just drop new photographs into a
directory and let the code handle all of the resizing etc..  I have found
however, that even on such a small scale, ASPImage is not suitable for doing
dynamic resizing of more than 20 images at a time.  CPU usage on a P3 1Ghz
server is almost 100% utilization while it is doing the resizing, and the
download time is substantially slower than for static thumbnails.

The solution I found, is to use the FileSystem Object in ASP to check for
the existence of thumbnails in a predetermined subdirectory (./_thumbnails).
If the thumbnails exist, the script will use those, otherwise, it will do
the dynamic resizing and send the thumbnails to the client and save them in
the specified directory.

Using this method, the thumbnail generation is still automatic, but will
only run once for each new image. You can see it in action at:
http://rjf.ca/gallery/

One question I do have however, is how are you able to extract the title and
description information?  Were you able to get that info from the
SummaryInformation NTFS Stream?

Thanks,

Bob.