[thelist] Re: mail signatures

Kevin Martin evolt at brasscannon.net
Fri Jan 4 16:12:58 CST 2002

Quoth "spinhead" <evolt at spinhead.com> quoting moi:
> > Your email program should use it to *strip signatures when composing
> > replies*.  If it does not do that it is broken, regardless of any other
> > capabilities it may boast.
>
> Interesting bit. Where does this come from? (I'm genuinely curious, even if
> it sounds like I'm saying 'Says who?')

Fair question.  Per Dr. John Stockton's page at www.merlyn.demon.co.uk,

"For the consensus recommendation, see Son-of-RFC1036 section 4.3.2, end;
also RFC1855, a.k.a. FYI28."  The custom originated in netnews but is
generally considered applicable to mail as well.  In RFC-speak it's a
SHOULD rather than a MUST but it's still a darn good idea.

And I just found another 90K or so of PWC disclaimers I missed on my
first pass.  Time to send them a bill, I think. :-)

--
Kevin "digger" Martin <evolt at brasscannon.net>