[thelist] Flash virus

John Dowdell jdowdell at macromedia.com
Wed Jan 9 10:18:23 CST 2002

still want to hear about such concerns though!

At 8:33 AM 1/8/2, Peter-Paul Koch wrote:
> For the first time, a Flash virus has been detected. See
> http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/swflfm926.html
> for more details.

Howdy, it would have been nice if the site had checked with us first, we
could have saved them some work.... ;-)

Here's an interim background statement from Macromedia. We hope to have
their site amended soon, and will have it in a security section on our site
too.

> Macromedia was recently informed of a potential issue with the
> standalone Macromedia Flash Player running on Microsoft Windows.
> This issue does not affect web content viewed in a browser.
> After testing by both Macromedia and Sophos Anti-virus, the
> company who initially reported this potential issue, Macromedia
> has found that this issue can only affect content that is sent
> via email or downloaded from a site and then run outside a
> browser. E-mail users should never open or download attachments
> or data unless they can be sure it is from a trusted source.
> Macromedia appreciates the work of Sophos in reporting this
> potential issue, and will be issuing a patch later this week;
> a fix will also be included in future versions of the product.
> For more information on the patch please visit:
> http://www.macromedia.com/support/flash/
> Macromedia will continue to take potential security issues
> very seriously."

Please give a holler if you ever see *any* client or audience concerns
about security with these technologies... we want to make sure that
everybody is confident of their safety out there. Thanks!

jd