[thelist] Some CSS problems

Lachlan Cannon tiedefenderdelta6 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 9 21:31:54 CST 2002

> Is there a particular reason you used margins, rather
> than
> absolute positioning with % sizes?  Absolute positioning
> with % screen sizes would probably solve your overflow
> issue.

Because I need the top of the divs to be exactly 90 pixels
down, and want the edges of the divs 20 pixels off each
edge of the screen and each other. Margins are the only way
I know to do this, because if I use absolute positioning,
and say 100%, it doesn't stop even with a right: 20px;
declaration.
The trouble being, since I want it to work for all screen
sizes, I can't put in a pixel value for the height, and
because it's always 90 pixels down, 20 pixels to the side
etc, and that's a different percentage to account for at
each different screen size, there is no certain percentage
to put in.
Oh, and I don't have to worry about NN4's margin problems
either, since I use tantek celik's box model hack to get
the menu div the right width, and nn4 chokes on it just as
much as ie 5 does, only ie 5 keeps reading and nn4 gives up
on that css file altogether, letting me give it it's on
basic file instead.

Maybe it would help if you could see the page as I've
managed to get it so far, (kindly posted by
Garrett)http://members.evolt.org/garrett/cannon/compose.html

(beware in IE some of the elements meant to be in the main
div have been floated, and for whatever stupid reason
floated above it.  That's not a problem as it's been fixed
in my local copy.. if only I knew how.)

While I'm pestering you all about this, does anyone know
about any problems with print stylesheets? I can't seem to
get them to work, with the
<link href="print.css" rel="stylesheet" media="print">.
Which is frustrating, since I've seen my browsers work with
ALA's print style fine, but they just seem to ignore mine.

<tip type="resource" author="Lachlan">
http://www.scottandrew.com has a great series of articles
on scripting using the W3C DOM.
</tip>