[thelist] CSS etiquette question

Simon Dell simondl at epic.co.uk
Thu Jan 10 09:06:18 CST 2002

hi there all you CSS gurus...

Just a little question of neatness and etiquette...
If I have two <div> tags on a particular page type template which i'm going
to hold some text, and which always need to be distinguished from one
another, which of the following would be the best way to style them up:

1) make a #rule for each div, matching their ids, containing all their
layout/positioning AND font styles (because they'll be different colours)

or

2) make a . rule for each contining the same as the #rule

or

3) make a . and a # splitting up "style" in the . rule and "layout" in the #?

I realise this is not the most important of issues, but I thought I'd ask
to get an idea of how people like to write their code.

cheers,
simon