[thelist] Merchant account

Luther, Ron Ron.Luther at compaq.com
Thu Jan 10 09:08:01 CST 2002

Hi Gang,

This is definitely *not* an area where I have a whole lot of expertise
... but I wanted to bring up an additional option that I hadn't seen
mentioned yet.

It's my understanding that some of the cc processing discount rates are
volume based - which makes sense - if you do (or guarantee) more
business for them, then they can afford to cut you a better rate.

Because of that an 'account aggregator' market has sprung up -- a third
party company will cut a deal with Visa (for example) guaranteeing $x M
a month in transactions ... in order to get a lower discount rate --
then they create that traffic by aggregating numerous smaller business
accounts.  That seems to allow the aggregator to offer better rates to
small businesses than the small businesses would get by themselves
dealing directly with the banker types.

Just another option to consider.

RonL.
(I interviewed with one of these 'cc processing aggregator' firms about
18 months ago. They offered me the job - but I decided it wasn't where I
wanted to be.)