[thelist] file types

MRC webmaster at equilon-mrc.com
Thu Jan 10 10:24:02 CST 2002

John,

> You don't need to change any associations, you just need to save a bitmaps
> as .bmp and gifs as .gif. Whichever extension Internet Explorer prompts
you
> to save the file with is the correct one.

    Actually, this isn't always the case. I think stef had it right, that IE
stumbles over images generated on the fly. For instance, open this link:

http://photojournal-b.jpl.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/PIAGenCatalogPage.pl?PIA03229

    Click on the image of Mars to generate a full-size jpeg version. The
resulting image is a server-generated jpeg image of Mars. If you right-click
the image and choose "Properties", you will see that the file name is
pia.digital.pl. However, if you right-click the image and choose "Save
Picture As...", the only file format that IE offers is .bmp.
    You can, in fact, successfully save the file as a bmp -- providing you
with a monstrously larger file. But you can probably also retrieve the file
from the browser cache, where in my testing it curiously shows up as a jpeg
file with a .jpg extension.

James Aylard