[thelist] Response.Write versus varHTML = varHTML & "..."

Howard Cheng howcheng at ix.netcom.com
Fri Jan 11 13:01:42 CST 2002

OK I think I had misunderstood your original intent. Let me see if I
understand what you were doing -- getting a large result set and creating a
big giant string to output later, along the lines of:

[%
strHTML = ""
While Not RS.EOF
         strHTML = strHTML & RS("field") & "<br>"
         RS.MoveNext
Wend
%]

[html]
[%= strHTML %]
[/html]

Right?

In which case, you pretty much are screwed, because as you have found out,
ASP/VBScript really sucks at string management.

You'll have to output your HTML smack-dab in the middle of the page. The
whole ASP framework is designed so you can have jump in and out of
server-side code so I suppose that's how they expect you to do it,
intermixing your logic and presentation.

At 09:50 AM 1/11/2002 -0800, Anthony Baratta wrote:
This doesn't solve the problem with string concatenation/storage. Where do
you store the HTML text before you get to the HTML?

>My former format is not any different from Joshua's/your's. It's doing all
>the calc's up front too. I've just functionalized as much as I can and
>move the functions to the bottom, for code readability.

Howard Cheng
howcheng at ix.netcom.com
AIM: bennyphoebe
ICQ: 47319315