[thelist] For the MS Gurus

Ken Kogler ken.kogler at curf.edu
Fri Jan 11 13:20:15 CST 2002

I'm in need of some advice. Here's my situation:

Each student here at this university gets some personal network storage
(10 Mb by default). We've got some kind of virtual file sharing set up
so that their files can be spread out over our RAID array somewhere, but
it all appears to be under a logical folder, e.g. \\sevrer\username.
What we'd like to do is give every student a folder called "www" in
their personal folder, and have it act like the root of a website, with
all the Default Document and permissions stuff from the IIS site carry
over. SO \\server\username\www would be the root of
www.curf.edu/username. This needs to be completely scriptable as we
can't have out network admins constantly adding/deleting the virtual
roots in IIS - it should all happen dynamically as we change/remove
users. This dynamicism already works on the file sharing end of things
(\\server\username), but we want to add in the IIS stuff now, too.

My solution is this:

Use IIS's 404 engine so when someone types http://www.curf.edu/username,
we write out a script to get the username from the url, and redirect to
http://students.curf.edu/username. That's all well and good, but what I
don't know how to do - and what I need your help with - is dynamically
setting up a few hundred virtual roots under the IIS site
"students.curf.edu". Any thoughts/suggestions as to how we could make
this a reality?

Thanks in advance.

Ken Kogler