Subject: Re: [thelist] how design affects ecommerce

Shoshannah Forbes xslf at xslf.com
Sat Jan 12 12:52:37 CST 2002

> of every dollar spent is being left on the table. For a site we've
> recently researched, we're finding that, by making certain design
> changes, we can increase their annual revenues by $200,000,000 (a 50%
> increase).
>
> I'd be glad to talk more about this to anyone who is interested.

I'll tell you a small story that heppened just yesterday:
My boyfriend recently finished a web site, got a domain, and finally decided
on a web host we heard good stuff about. Last night we went to the host's
site, in order to sign up for the service. Small detail: we are now living
in France (we have an International credit card), and the host is from the
US.
1st stage: choose domain or choose "transfer domain".
Obviosly, we choose the 2nd option.
Then, enter a phone number. Should be easy. Nope.
The form accepts (via "maxlength") phone numbers only in the following (US)
format:
xxx- xxx- xxxx
10 digits totall.
however, being in France, our phone number is:
33 4 xx xx xx xx
11 digits totall.
Oopps.
Even if we ignor the format, we are still unable to fill out the correct
phone number.

Guess what? My boyfriend signed up at some other host.

I wonder how many companies are loosing business from issues like this?