[thelist] Browser Detect - IE6 = NN4?

Ken Kogler ken.kogler at curf.edu
Sat Jan 12 20:19:23 CST 2002

http://www.kenkogler.com/browse.asp

Very simple code:

<code>
  <%
    'Create an instance of the Browser Capabilities Component
    Dim objBC
    Set objBC = Server.CreateObject("MSWC.BrowserType")
  %>
  <b>Your browser:</b> <%=objBC.Browser%><br>
  <b>Browser version:</b> <%=objBC.Version%><br>
  <b>Support Frames?</B> <%=objBC.Frames%><br>
</code>

That's it. This is supposed to (among other things) detect my browser.
I'm using IE6.0 under WinXP Pro, and this code tells me I'm running
Netscape 4.00.

Anyone know what the heck's going on? I've got the following browsers
installed:
NN4.0
NN6.02
Opera 4
Opera 5
Mozilla 0.9
IE6

NN4, IE6, and Opera 5 all return NN4. Opera 4 returns correctly, and NN6
and Mozilla both choke and return "Default 0.00". You'd think microsoft
would be able to detect it's own browsers.

Anybody know a better browser dectection method to separate the Netscape
4.X users? (I'm using this script to decide on a size for my <input>
elements. NN4.x users get half the value of everyone else.)

Thanks, guys (and gals)!

Ken Kogler