[thelist] Browser Detect - IE6 = NN4?

Jon Hall jonhall at ozline.net
Sun Jan 13 03:36:25 CST 2002

If you need to do your if's for the form in your asp code, set a cookie
on the users machine when they hit your site that indicates which
browser they are using, so the browser is always available.
Something like this:

var ns4 = (navigator.appName.indexOf("Netscape")>=0 &&
parseFloat(navigator.appVersion) >= 4 &&
parseFloat(navigator.appVersion) < 5)? true : false;
var ie4 = (document.all)? true : false;
var ns6 = (parseFloat(navigator.appVersion) >= 5 &&
navigator.appName.indexOf("Netscape")>=0 )? true: false;

if(ns4) setCookie('ns4');
if(ie4) setCookie('ie4);
and so on...

I left out the setCookie fuction, just use your own cookie library. Then
you can read the cookie in the server side code to get the browser.
Calling a COM object just for browser detection seems a little heavy on
server resources to me.

jon