[thelist] Country List needed

Paul Cowan paul at wishlist.com.au
Mon Jan 14 17:46:47 CST 2002

Hi evolterinos,

I have need for a country code list, broken down by region, for the purposes
of calculating delivery costs. We are trying to divide countries down into
regions -- we are using ISO-3166 as the basis of the table, but it would be
nice to have a ready-made source of data for what goes where rather than
doing it manually.

We're after something moderately fine-grained... say if the world was
divided into regions something like:
	- North America
	- Central America/Caribbean
	- South America
	- Oceania/Pacific
	- North & West Asia
	- South-East Asia
	- Middle East
	- Africa
	- Europe
... etc., that would be super. We're NOT after something like the
ever-helpful Australian postal service can give us, which is broken into:
	- Asia
	- America
	- UK
	- Rest of world
(more or less)

Just thought someone might have a list lying around which I could import
into our database and save me an hour or so with an atlas!

Of course, even better would be a source for such a list on the web, which
is updated to reflect changes to ISO-3166 (or some similar list of world
states). Perhaps that's a little optimistic though.

Thanks in advance,

Not sure how OT this is, so just in case:

<tip type="Keyboard" author="Paul Cowan">
Got a Windows-type keyboard (the ones with the extra little keys down near
your alt keys)? Take a second to learn the shortcuts those keys can give
you. If you're a keyboard junkie like me, they can save you a lot of
mouse-using time -- for example, Windows-E = explorer; Windows-F = find
files; Windows-D = show desktop, and again to restore; Windows-R = run, and
so on.
</tip>

Paul Cowan