[thelist] finding ip addresses

DESCHAMPS Stéphane DvSI/SICoR stephane.deschamps at francetelecom.com
Tue Jan 15 05:40:45 CST 2002

> I'm sorry to say that your chances arne't very good at all.
> When people use
> BT Internet they get assigned a random IP address every time
> they connect,
> and they also get disconnected at least every 2 hours, so
> unless the user has
> identified him/herself in other posts at very similar times
> to the malicious
> ones, I doubt you'll be able to find out who they are. BT
> themselves /may/
> have a record of who connects using what IP address, but even
> if they could
> be bothered to search through their records to find out for
> you (which is
> unlikely), I'm fairly sure it would be against the law for
> them to give out
> information like that.

We've had this kind of problem with my company (a former job) and we
contacted the abuse address and said "please do what's necessary for the
abuse to stop". They contacted the client (so confidentiality was still met)
and warned him tha tthis was the last time this behaviour was tolerated.

Actually it was for a more serious "offense" (dropping files and using our
server as an unofficial FTP repository).