[thelist] finding ip addresses

kris burford [midtempo] kris at midtempo.net
Tue Jan 15 07:02:36 CST 2002

hi martin

part of my job for this client is to restructure their site and, in
particular, their community set-up. whilst i've a lot of experience in
*talking* about how community sites should be structured, i've not a great
deal of hands on structural experience (i spent two years at my last
employers screaming for community features and telling them how it would
dramatically improve their sites, all to no avail...).

my current client is using web bbs for their existing web forum software
(http://awsd.com/scripts/webbbs/) but are getting sufficient traffic for
this system to be *very* slow (all files saved as text and written into html
on the fly). i was looking at moving them over to phorum (www.phorum.org) as
it seems to be faster and easier to configure to fit the rest of the site
design (plus it utilises php/mysql as per the rest of the restructuring).

anyway, i'd like to think that including registration/login functionality
wouldn't impact on the use of the forum, but i've an idea that it will.

does anyone have any experience with moving from a very open bbs to
something that is significantly more structured? what were the implications?
suggestions???

thanks

kris