[thelist] skipping 'hx' levels is bad

rudy r937 at interlog.com
Wed Jan 16 12:23:37 CST 2002

> [moved from elsewhere]

thanks joel, thelist is probably a better venue for this discussion

(note to the curious:  this thread started on thesite, one of the other
evolt.org discussion lists)

> Of course, that's a very strict interpretation...

perhaps not strict enough

> ... both in terms of writing and layout, but since HTML
> was intended to mark up written documentation, I stand
> by that interpretation.   YOMV (your opinion may vary).

indeed

lemme ask you, does your interpretation allow P text inserted "in between"
these heading levels, like an introductory paragraph?

   <h1>stooges</h1>
   <h2>curly</h2>
   <h2>larry</h2>
   <h2>moe</h2>

since you are a markup fanatic, tell me where that last paragraph gets
parsed in the document hierarchy

now tell me how to fix it so that it's as "pure and semantically correct"
as not skipping an H level

YOMNCM  (your opinion may never convince me)

;o)

rudy