[thelist] multilingual sql databases and searching

garry wiseman garryw_wiseman_99 at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 17 10:32:33 CST 2002

Hi,

I wish to store large amounts of copy in a database, either MS SQL 2000 or
Oracle, that copy being in several different languages, e.g. French,
Russian, Japanese. How can I do this in the above two databases? How do I
setup the tables, what string types?

I would then like to do two kinds of searching on this data:
(1) Case-insensitive: so I search on "food", and the search will find
"FooD", fOOd", etc.
(2) Diacritic-insensitive: so I search on "food", and the search will find
all instances of data with "food" in regardless of accents or other such
characters.

Can anyone help me with how to setup such searches? Particularly the
diacritic-insensitive searching?
Finally - supposing I had 2-3 such databases, how could I search all 2-3
simultaneously?

If anyone can help with any of these, that'd be fantastic.

Many thanks,
Garry.