[thelist] question - homepage? webpage? website

Marc Seyon seyon at delime.com
Thu Jan 17 18:13:56 CST 2002

Greetings all,

I'm wondering how my fellow evolters weigh in on this. Essentially one can
say these three terms are roughly synoymous, but my personal preference is
a more precise definition for each

website (website) - the entire site
webpage (webpage) - a single (HTML) document; many webpages comprise a website
homepage (home page) - the first or main webpage on a website

comments? (dis)agreements?

regards.
-marc

<tip type="controlled vocabulary and  consistent labelling">
One way of giving your site content an extra polish is to standardise
appearance of common terms or even your organisation's name.
If you choose to represent your company's name as "mycompany" or
"myCompany", do so wherever possible. Try not to then use "my Company", for
example. Anal? A little. Gives that little extra touch though.

By extension, if your organisation publishes large volumes of content, eg a
news site, attempt to key words or phrases used. For example, "e-mail" or
"email" or "e mail". Pick one, stick with it. (Yes, easier said than done)
</tip>