[thelist] http://www.webskeleton.com - site review for all browsers

Lachlan Cannon tiedefenderdelta6 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 18 05:33:24 CST 2002

--- Aleem <aleem at mindless.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the feedback,
>
> > 1. Redo the logo at the top left of the pages, as the
> aliasing isn't
> > very good - there's a jagged black line around the
> "button". You'd
>
> I initially had tidy clean-cut graphics
> http://www.webskeleton.com/5/
> (IE only though). I changed the graphic edges so I could
> completely map
> any colors I wanted onto the website without having to
> trouble with any
> of the graphics (
> http://localhost/wssite/7/index.php?style=2 ), hence I
> settled for the jagged graphics in exchange for
> completely configurable
> colors. Would you recommend I switch back to only one
> fixed template and
> sharper quality as opposed to what I have now ?

Since changing the style involves a trip to the server, why
not make it clean cut and have different graphics for the
different colour schemes?

My thoughts on the site: The lines at the top of the page
don't add anything to the site, and look quite ugly under
?style=2. I'd get rid of them, maybe change the
webskeletion writing to fill the space better.

There's a 1x1 px image, and yet it's alt is -------------?

The logo.. doesn't really appeal to me. Why not use
something like the spider in the screenshots of the Flash
demos? Which brings me to...

The portfolio page.. why aren't any of the screenshots
links? There's quite a difference between seeing a
screenshot of a page, and really messing around in it.
Maybe even if you're worried about them being changed you
should mirror them on your site?

On the contact us page, "click to here to request quote".
Just MHO, but that would sound much better as "Request a
quote".

Multimedia page:
"Flash uses Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG)". Wrong wrong
wrong! Flash uses scalable vector graphics. It does not use
SVG. SVG is only used currently by the SVG plug-in from
Adobe. Once again MHO, but "we can equip your site with
flash" sounds better than "with a flash".

Surely there's enough sites with unneccesary, annoying
flash intros around without actually ENOURAGING people to
get them?!

"These like the audio samples can be chosen in multiple
formats, alllowing users to play vidoes as is suited to
their software or connection speed." Typo on allowing.
Also, I think "These can be shown in multiple formats,
allowing users to play the videos bets suited to their
software and connection speed" sounds nicer.

On the e-commerce page.
"The aspects of an e-commerce system are more complicated
in that they need careful attention to detail, usability,
security, customer satisfaction and feedback." Wouldn't
inspire confidence in me. I would say "are complicated,
needing even greater attention to..."

"All big shops need a theft-prevention system or any leaks
in the administration which would compromise business and
hence profits." Not very clear what you're trying to say
there.

"We therefor provide you..." Typo!

On the pricing page:I wouldn't make the links to websites
necessary, people may have an idea of what they want, but
not know pages like that. Also, I would say in the pricing
statement that you may need to get back to them a few times
before finalising the price. Imagine if what they sent you
for the quote got misinterpreated, and you had to work for
a lot less than it's worth, or you quote such a large price
for a low cost site that they run away!

The developement page:
Is the picture and description of the model really
necessary? The clients don't need to know how something
works, or how you'll do something. They need to know what
it is you can do, how long it'll take, and what it'll cost.
Alos the explanations of the different kinds of
technologies is probably too much. Maybe you should just
say that you can develop in several languages, and list
them.

One other thing. The breadcrumb trail is nice, but if
you've chosen another skin, the breadcrumb doesn't change
to include the skin, so if you click on one of them, you
have to go and select your skin all over again... should be
easy to fix!

Hmm.. comes across like I really don't like your site, but
I actually do. ;) It's a clean, nice design, and a touch of
polishing should improve it many times over.

HTH
Lach

=====