[thelist] employment question

Aleem aleem at mindless.com
Fri Jan 18 14:17:49 CST 2002

I am currently in my final year here at Univ. of Toronto and so far in
my experience, all profs have a PHD or Masters. I was a TA (teaching
assistant) and closely collaborated to the profs. but we did have a
professor who was hired on the basis of being an industry professional
(although he had a masters too from an unrecognized univ.) One thing I
find, university don't focus too much on real-world stuff other than the
guest speakers and only this semester a new course was introduced -
"Programming on the web" with assignments on web-based email (Perl),
Java servlet based online test, XML/XSLT/DTD, and a last assn. on
XML/Javascript/Applet. You can find the course website here:
http://www.utsc.utoronto.ca/~rosselet/cscc09/

If you are into Databases here is a link to a Databases course taught by
Alberto Mendelzon (from what I hear, he is acclaimed in Toronto for DB
matters) - http://www.scar.utoronto.ca/~mendel/d34.html

We have had one teacher move from a Teaching Assistant to Prof. because
he has been in the faculty for about 8-9 years now and well versed in
most of the course material. We have a big shortage of Professors in all
three campuses of UofT. Last year the situation was pretty bad and we
had a Prof. who was so bad, he took all the lecture slides from a
previous session of the course, put them up in class and read it out
aloud (he had a bad accent and hid english was horrible) and even then
he stuck around for a year. He was making around $CD 150K a year, simple
because he was teaching at 3/4 locations at the same time (UofT, Ryerson
Univ., Devry Institute, Seneca college), and I can assure you if he can
get in, anyone can (he got fired this year).

G'luck,
aleem