[thelist] Which browsers to download for testing

Lachlan Cannon tiedefenderdelta6 at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 19 10:52:26 CST 2002

> I need a little help in deciding which browsers to
> download for testing.  I
> currently run everything under ie 5.5, I would like to
> limit the amount of
> browsers on my system to the top 3 major browsers for
> testing my projects
> (only because it's going to slow down my system quite a
> bit).
>
> Which browsers should I download and which version of
> those suggested?
Well I don't know about limiting it to 3, but if you have
to, I'd say Netscape 6.1/6.2, Ie 5.5 and either NS 4, or
Opera 5/6 depending on your needs.

Personally, I'd get more than three if I were you. My bare
minmum for working with (which is what I have since I can't
afford the downloads for more) is Ns 4, IE 5.5 and 6 (on 2
seperate computers on a LAN), N6.0, N6.1, Op5, Op6, Lynx.
If I did have the download, i'd get N6.2, the latest Moz,
and probably a screen reader too...

BTW, if you do get Opera, Netscape and IE, you can probably
get opera 5 and 6.. they both run extremely tidily..
they're only a few meg each and they don't use anywhere
near as much memory as the big two.

HTH

Lach