[thelist] AOL wants to buy RH Linux??

.jeff jeff at members.evolt.org
Sat Jan 19 13:59:34 CST 2002

chris,

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><
> From: CDitty
>
> Has anyone else seen this?
>
> http://www.washtech.com/news/media/14759-1.html
><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

all i've gotta say is that *anybody* that thinks microsoft is the worst
there is should really take another look around, this time outside their
current opinion pool.  to me, aol is far more evil.  to quote:

  "The AOL online software, which consumers can
   install for free from the Web or a compact disk,
   is now designed to run on Microsoft's Windows
   operating system. But the AOL software could be
   configured to override Windows and launch a
   version of Red Hat's Linux operating system,
   sources said."

to you linux zealots out there, the above is *not* a good thing, no matter
how much it may seem like it at first.

  "With such a move, AOL Time Warner could
   potentially make significant inroads into
   Microsoft's bread-and-butter business. An
   even graver challenge to Microsoft would be
   for AOL Time Warner to develop a rival
   operating system that works exclusively with
   the media giant's own Internet service
   provider, its Web browser or proprietary
   content."

if this happens, you damn well better bet that microsoft will consider linux
an important operating system to support for their browser, office apps,
etc.  in the meantime, wanna talk about a browser market with little to no
competition where the owner/distributor of the os also owns the browser?

sad, sad day if aol pulls this off.

.jeff

http://evolt.org/
jeff at members.evolt.org