Most standards compliant browser? (was RE: [thelist] AOL wants to buy RH Linux??)

Lachlan Cannon tiedefenderdelta6 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 20 18:31:17 CST 2002

--- Liorean <Liorean at user.bip.net> wrote:
> As for the underlying discussion:
>
> What I can't understand with you here is that *most of*
> you think AOL would
> necessarily make bad use of Red Hat if they bought it.
> They might have lots
> of proprietary things they make, but when they acquired
> Mirabilis they
> didn't exactly destroy the company or it's products.
> Neither did they kill
> Netscape, even if they reorganized things a bit.

Look what they did to ICQ.

> I don't think AOL would use Red Hat for much else than
> getting a foot into
> the Linux user base. They would probably let the company
> run much like it
> has past times, maybe with some additional AOL software
> bundled with the OS.

Which already makes it as good as crap. The bane of my
existence is programs that install useless crap that I
never asked for.

> They could, on the other hand, be a good source for
> getting more money into
> the Linux development, as well as try to steer the Linux
> development toward
> userfriendliness.

Isn't IBM's billion dollars enough? And there's a
difference between being user friendly, and making the
decisions for the user. I tend to think AOL would steer
towards the latter.

> Now, that's just speculations IF they were to acquire Red
> Hat. That's far
> from sure, and I've yet to see any indication towards
> that from AOL or Red Hat.

This is true. I'm myself hoping it's just some hoax,
because although I don't like Linux particularly myself, I
would hate to see them go the AOL way.

Lach

<tip type="typography" author="Lachlan">
If you want to make the typography in your web document
really shine, then http://www.alistapart.com/stories/emen
is a must see. It not only tells you where to use what
appropriate typography, but also points to more typography
resources.
</tip>