[thelist] PNG and alpha channel ?

Alliax damiencola at wanadoo.fr
Mon Jan 21 00:42:44 CST 2002

You can search the list archives for a thread entitled "the use of colors"
there was an interesting discussion about complimentary colors, the
discussion hasn't reached proper conclusions yet.

>> To get the background image of an area of the screen to
>> show through the
>> document background for example? It makes for a nice
>> effect.

>Pardon? Maybe it's just me, but I don't unmderstand that
>explanation.

For example, a table's background image with alpha channels would integrate
into the page background image or bgcolor
The same as photoshop's layers

>> Also, try making a background colour changing script with
>> semi-transparent png in Mozilla and you'll see how good
>> an effect you can get.

>Ok, it's nicer to be able to have one picture there, but if
>you're going to the effort of changing the background, you
>mayaswell change the background picture too. It's not that
>much harder.
>Lach

document.bgcolor = ...
is faster, lighter and more flexible than doing several background pictures
Through you're right about the problem with random colors that may not be
visually good with your alpha channeled image.
Alternatively, you could build an array to hold a set of humanly chosen
"acceptable" colors and use javascript random() to pick one of them from the
array.

Cordialement,

__ Alliax         ~CV : http://LingoParadise.com/cv.php
Un site pour Toulon : http://www.ToulonParadise.com