[thelist] RE: Most standards compliant browser?

Andrew Clover and at doxdesk.com
Mon Jan 21 05:41:08 CST 2002

Jeff <jeff at members.evolt.org> wrote:

> take the display property, for example.  it works fine on
> practically any html object when toggling between "block" and "none" in
> ie5+, reflowing the document properly to fit the toggled content.  however,
> try changing the display property on a table row or cell in nn6 and watch
> everything fall apart.

That's because the display property on a table row shouldn't be 'block' -
it should be 'table-row'. Mozilla rightly gets confused if you try to change
a table row to display as a block. I can't speak for N6 (I hate AOL as
much as you do ;-) ), but Mozilla has been able to add/remove rows for
ages.

(Of course IE/Win *only* allows 'display: block', so you have to sniff for
it and use slightly different code. Annoying, but this one's more IE's
fault than Moz's. example code available...)

IE6-Standards is a great improvement over IE5 but is still missing a few
things. DOM 2 Events, the DOMImplementation object, 'position: fixed' and
setting positioned elements by their 'left' and 'right' properties (without
'width') and the same for top/bottom/height, are the more annoying things
that come to mind.

--
Andrew Clover
mailto:and at doxdesk.com