[thelist] AOL wants to buy RH Linux??

deke web at master.gen.in.us
Mon Jan 21 12:59:55 CST 2002

On 20 Jan 2002 at 14:02, .jeff posted a message which said:

> yes, i know they own netscape.  whether or not it's the most standards
> compliant browser is a completely different story.  netscape is an odd
> beast though as it was well in production before aol purchased it.  try
> taking a product they built from the ground up themselves and see how
> standards compliant it is.  one *good* example is how they choose to
> ignore email protocols with their built-in email client.

To be fair, that email client existed almost ten years before AOL users
had web access.

> > And they'd love to purchase a major cable provider as
> > well.

> oh yeah?  says who?

Gee, do you suppose *these* would be hints?

Their minority ownership of Cox, Comcast, and AT&T cable?
Their minority ownership of the two largest European cable companies?
Their majority ownership in five asian cable?

Oh, yeah, and the nation's 3rd largest cable company is controlled (94%
ownership) by Microsoft founder Paul Allen.

deke

--------
We are the parents our people warned us about....