[thelist] RE: Which browsers to download for testing

Kevin Martin evolt at brasscannon.net
Mon Jan 21 14:05:13 CST 2002

> >Is there any way to emulate a Mac or Linux enviroment on my PC? (I
> >could dual-boot w/ Linux, but not with Mac)

Connectix "Virtual PC for Windows" is a somewhat pricey alternative to
VMWare, but it's still "emulated Intel on real Intel," not a virtual Mac-
on-Intel.

For that, Darek Mihocka at www.emulators.com has been emulating Motorola
on Intel longer than almost anyone.  Though I've only tried his Atari
stuff, not his SoftMac, I bet he's done it as well as anyone can.

But you might also seriously consider "Virtual PC for Mac" -- I was
surprised to learn that their current version takes advantage of an
little-known Intel emulation capability in the PowerPC chip to give you
better performance than you have any right to expect from an emulator.

A reconditioned iBook even with a RAM upgrade is around $1K US; OS X is
turning out sweet, and the iBook will fake being a PC better than PC will
ever fake being a Mac.  Once you have the VirtualPC engine you can install
as many Intel OSes as you like.

HTH.