[thelist] One blowhard, hundreds of cubic feet of hot air

Judah McAuley judah at wiredotter.com
Tue Jan 22 15:50:27 CST 2002

At 03:05 PM 1/22/2002 -0500, Brian King expounded...
><snip>
>M. Burns stated, a number of times mind you, that Amazon had a good business
>model, and had the profits to substantiate it.  I argued at the time, that
>Amazon had never posted a profit and wasn't forecasting to do so in a while.
>that they M. Burns stated had earned a profit, in his best factual tone that
>he could muster and continued to build his case using that (bogus)
>information.

</snip>

Note in the following:
http://www.siliconvalley.com/docs/news/svfront/052800.htm
Quote:
  "A year ago, Amazon executives said the company would aim to turn a pro
forma operating profit, which excludes many expenses, by the end of 2001."

Amazon has been very forthright about its earnings for quite some
time.  When the market told them to get big at the expense of profits, they
did that.  When the market told them to make a profit at the expense of
market share, they said "OK".  And they did it.  They forecasted a year in
advance that they would achieve pro-forma profitability in the fourth
quarter.  They not only achieved that, but they actually made a net profit
as well.

Note also in this article:

  Analysts said the results indicate that Jeff Bezos -- the company founder
who was named Time's Person of the Year amid the dot-com boom of 1999 --
was right when he pushed the company to ``get big fast'' at the expense of
immediate profits in the late 1990s.

``E-commerce isn't an easy matter,'' said Jeetil Patel, an analyst with
Deutsche Banc Alex. Brown. ``It took the company $1.2 billion in revenue to
achieve a profit, so scale is definitely a critical success factor. Not a
lot of smaller companies will be able to pull this off.''

I believe that Martin was quite right in his analysis.  I also belive that
you dissented in a quite rude manner.  Rudeness rarely bolsters your point
amongst people with a brain.

--Judah McAuley