[thelist] Update on "Update Query not running"

Scott Brady evolt at scottbrady.net
Tue Jan 22 17:24:02 CST 2002

> In my case .. what I did was have two auto number fields .. the second
being
> a Long Integer... that's the one I made the primary key.  This might break
> all the database rules out there, but at least it enforced that the GUID
> that I'm testing against in the "where" clause IS unique.  In face, both
> auto number fields are unique, i.e. no duplicates allowed, enforced in the
> DB.  I'd prefer to check the GUID even if it's not the primary key, than
> updating records based on a person's name, that can be duplicated.  You
know
> your data better than anyone else tho.

I thought I'd try to see what happens if I just not have an official primary
key on there. Still didn't work.

The user name I'm using is also unique, so I can check that without too many
problems.  It's just an extra database hit to get the username based on the
user_id (I'm using the User_id in session variables/cookies, and I'd rather
not have usernames in cookies, since it's a lot harder to "fake" a GUID).

Thanks for the help.

Scott
Scott Brady
http://www.scottbrady.net/