[thelist] document.body.clientHeight problems in IE6?

Ben Henick persist1 at io.com
Tue Jan 22 17:30:16 CST 2002

As some of you know, I've been (haphazardly) working on an inline
pagination system (a la iht.com) that I intend to apply to the redesign of
my personal site.  It is currently used on my weblog:

http://www.io.com/persist1/log.php

My understanding is that there are some rendering bugs on that browser;
apparently the inline navigation links that are supposed to appear at the
bottom of the browser canvas, often don't.

If this is the case, it's because - contrary to the approach taken in
IE5.5 - IE6 considers document.body.clientHeight to be equivalent to to
something /other than/ the height of the browser canvas, most likely the
combined offsetHeight of some other subset of elements.

Here is the code I use to define the position of the inline nav (which is
a dynamically-created-and-appended element) - beware line breaks:

HVal = document.body.clientHeight;
InlineNav.style.top =
((HVal - parseInt(document.body.style.lineHeight) * 2) + "px");

the actual JavaScript source (which is still in draft stage at this point)
is at:

http://www.io.com/persist1/scripts/presentation.js

If someone who's got IE6 could take a look and clue me into what's going
on, that'd be fantastic, as I'm still using IE5.5...

Further, I've yet to be given a compelling reason to upgrade:

a.  I'm not seeing enough IE6 users to justify wiping-out IE5.5 (I only
    own one system);
b.  I've had all of two people tell me that IE6 is *that* great;
c.  Nowhere have I been able to get a clear synopsis of the changes
    (tech-wise) from IE5.5 to IE6.

TIA
--
Ben Henick
Web Author At-Large              Managing Editor
persist1 at io.com                  bmh at digital-web.com
--
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering, Pinky?"
"I think so, Brain, but... (snort) no, no, it's too stupid."