[thelist] AOL wants to buy RH Linux??

Lachlan Cannon tiedefenderdelta6 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 22 22:13:48 CST 2002

--- deke  <web at master.gen.in.us> wrote:
>> Hmmm. You can't get MSN dialup service if you are
running
> Windows 3.1
> or Windows NT, or a Macintosh, or a Sun workstation, or a
> linux box.

So they're limiting their supply. Thats their choice. Their
users know it only works on that O/S when they get it, and
are presumably happy with that. If AOL had bought redhat,
and had forced users to use linux to go with any of theirt
upgrades.. hypothetical situations which look extremely
unlikely of happening anytime soon, they would be forcing
people to change what they already have, to work for a
service they already have. Liek MSN deciding that all users
must upgrade to XP to use the service. There's a difference
between distributing something limitedly(is that even a
word?), and forcing people to change something.. anyway
this is moot, and it's about time this thread got killed
off. Especially since i'm running out of tips.

> Maybe you could stop by my local supermarket, too, and
> tell them that
> they can't force people to buy Kraft macaroni in order to
> get those
> little packets of cheese powder, and they can't force
> people to buy
> Campbells' beans in order to get the pork in those cans.
> They're so
> ancient that they want you to buy an entire two-liter of
> Pepsi, even if
> you only want a little swig....

Ahuh, but they don't have a way of changing that. It's not
econmical to deliver things in any way shape and size,
however when it's a service being delivered, and not a
product, it should be able to seamlessly fit in to what the
user wants. And if it doesn't they should go to a different
one.

Lach

<tip type="CSS" author="Lachlan">
If you know how far you want an element to be from each
side of the screen, you can give it a right and left value,
and it will automatically fit between those values, and
this makes it easy to combine percentages (away from each
side) with borders, padding, etc, specified in pixel
values, since those values will be inside the left and
right values, and calculated automatically. However,
although this works in N6.x and Opera 5+, it doesn't work
in IE 6, so the only way to get around it, is to make a
fallback value for IE, and hide the N/Op values from it by
using the > selector - which no version of IE understands
yet.

Disclaimer: This has only been tested on PC Win98 versions,
not Macs, not Linux.
</tip>