[thelist] Netscape 6.1: No referer in https mode

muinar muinar at gmx.net
Wed Jan 23 07:17:21 CST 2002

I just checked with some alternative browsers whether they send a referer
or not:

ie 5.5         ->   ok
Opera 6.0      ->   ok
Netscape 4.7   ->   ok
Netscape 6.2   ->   nope

(Netscape 6.1  ->   nothing)

It came to my ears that NS 4+ could have problems sending private data
with its referer when clicking on a link in an email. But I cannot believe
that they dumped the referer altogether for this reason. Imagine, all the
log analysis tools not working!

Who can share some detail information about this issue?

And - who has experience setting up credit card forms with AuthorizeNet,
that work with NS 6? I don't like the idea that I have to exclude them
from signing up.

Mike