[thelist] Java Applets - More Secure?

David at softv.net David at softv.net
Wed Jan 23 07:49:37 CST 2002

Java applets operate in a "sandbox", that is they are unable to access the
filesystem or any API functions of the OS they are running on. You can
program an applet to interact with JavaScript within the browser it is
running in, however (but this is not really a security risk - unless you
consider running JS a risk).
So, in my opinion, blocking applets is unecessary and paranoid to boot. We
also give Microsoft a bigger slice of the pie every time we rule out Java as
an option ;-)

Dave