[thelist] ASP, HTTPS and Server to Server Communication....

Paul Cowan paul at wishlist.com.au
Wed Jan 23 20:14:39 CST 2002

Anthony Baratta wrote:
> With ASP, I'm assuming a COM object exists that I can do the
> same thing,
> but I have not found one to date. Either that, or I can use
> IE as my COM
> object?

Easy. For HTTP (non-HTTPs) communications, I recommend AspHTTP (from
www.serverobjects.com). If you need HTTPS, then you can use AspTear (from
www.alphasierrapapa.com). There is also an IE COM object you can use (the
Internet Transfer Control), BUT with a caveat: it's supposedly not thread
safe, and I'm fairly sure Microsoft explicitly recommend that you don't use
it in ASP pages.

There are also rumours on other mailing lists etc. that I've been on that
AspTear is actually based on the ITC anyway, and may not itself be
threadsafe -- but I have no idea if that's true. We've never had any dramas
with it anyway, on a very high-load site.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Paul Cowan