[thelist] httpd.conf

noah noah at tookish.net
Thu Jan 24 02:10:17 CST 2002

I'm having a fairly serious problem with my (remote) Apache server.

I was modifying the httpd.conf file - before I started, I made a backup
(httpd.conf.bak). After making some modifications, I decided to discard
them, so I deleted the modified httpd.conf and copied httpd.conf.bak to
httpd.conf.

Unfortunately, http access is not working at all now, even though that file
is identical to the one that was there before. I thought maybe I needed to
restart the daemon, so I typed "httpd" and got:

Syntax error on line 8 of /usr/local/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf:
Invalid command LogFormat

The string LogFormat does not appear anywhere in the httpd.conf file, let
alone on line 8. (I don't even care that LogFormat is a valid command, I'm
not using it anyway).

This is a fairly serious problem, since I have a lot of sites down at the
moment.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Noah