[thelist] Really weird ASP problem

Jason Lustig lustig at acsu.buffalo.edu
Thu Jan 24 10:33:49 CST 2002

ok... so I'm working on an ASP application with someone; it's using MS
access (I don't have control over the server situation), and in one of our
files, we're getting the strangest ASP error when we open this one recordset
(it works everywhere else):

error '80004005'
Unspecified error

/includes/vbscript_variables.inc, line 110

Now, the strange thing is that it's using the same method (myRS.open query,
connect) as everywhere else on the page. I've done some reasearch into the
bug on msdn, but it hasn't helped much. This is the code that's creating the
bug (and I didn't code it, i just have to find the bug) :

Function GetBoard()
   Dim BoardRS, b
   set BoardRS = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.RecordSet")
	query = "SELECT b.name, b.email, bp.bpname "
	query = query & "FROM board b INNER JOIN board_position bp "
	query = query & "ON b.position=bp.id "
	query = query & "WHERE b.chapter="&chapter_id
	BoardRS.Open query, Connect, 3
	'' 	^^^ this it the line that throws the error

	b = BoardRS.RecordCount

	ReDim b_name(b - 1), b_email(b - 1), b_position(b - 1)
	X = 0
	Do Until X = b
		b_name(X) = BoardRS("name")
		b_email(X) = BoardRS("email")
		b_position(X) = BoardRS("bpname")
		BoardRS.MoveNext
		X = X + 1
	Loop
	BoardRS.Close
	set BoardRS = nothing
End Function

...I've tried almost everything that I know of with ASP (I'm not as much of
an asp person as other languages) to get this to work, but that 80004005
error just won't go away.

Any suggestions?

--Jason