[thelist] Layers and wonderful, wonderful Netscape 4.7 with JS disabled

.jeff jeff at members.evolt.org
Thu Jan 24 22:40:01 CST 2002

ben,

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><
> From: Ben Gustafson
>
> I am stacking a bunch of absolutely positioned child
> layers (using DIV tags) within a relatively positioned
> parent layer. Only one of child layers is visible. Both
> the stacking and the visibility work in Netscape 4.7,
> until I disable JavaScript, in which case all the layers
> become visible and un-stacked. This is the case whether
> the style of the child layers is declared in the DIV
> tags or in a CSS class declaration in the head of the
> document. And I still have the "Enable style sheets"
> checkbox checked, which would make you think that
> disabling JavaScript wouldn't affect stylesheets. But
> noooo....
><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

ooooooooooh, you're going to love this one.  turning off javascript also
turns off stylesheet support.  why you ask?  well, because netscape had
already invested tons of time with their proprietary implementation of
stylesheets via javascript (jss) and didn't have the time or desire to redo
their work in order to support the method we've all come to use now.  so,
they built a stub that translates the css to jss internally.  hence, turn
off javascript and jss goes away meaning no css.

make sense?

.jeff

http://evolt.org/
jeff at members.evolt.org