[thelist] WinXP says goodbye to 640x480

Lachlan Cannon tiedefenderdelta6 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 25 07:05:01 CST 2002

--- Michael Efford <efford at iinet.net.au> wrote:
> Anybody else notice that WinXP (im using the Pro version)
> has gotten rid of
> 640x480 as a monitor setting!  The lowest you can now go
> is 800x600.
> Actually it hasn't got rid of it, MS has just made it
> harder to access.

> Although it makes it a bit harder for developers to use,
> I am sure it will
> do wonders for getting rid of the 640x480 plague :)
<rantish>
I knew a person once who felt sick if her monitor setting
was set to over 640 x 480... how does this benefit people
like her? IMO this merely encourages laziness. Even if
every person in the world used 800 x 600 or higher, sites
should still be designed to be fluid, or to at least scale
down to 500 pixels wide. And then of course you get things
like 3G phones, and other mobile devices. It's coming upon
a time when designers will have to make designs that are
truly 100% fluid, instead of designing for a minimum
resolution. Of course with CSS, you could make a design
that will always be 500 pixels wide, and then use that just
for screen, and use a different one for other devices.. but
the underlying design should be able to take that.
</rantish>
<tip type="PHP" author="Lachlan">
If you want to develop a style sheet changing application
with PHP, then make sure you set the header correctly at
the top of the document - IE is the only browser I know of
that will accept things on the web with incorrect
mimetypes. To set the mimetype simpyl declare
header("Content-Type: text/css");
</tip>

Lach