[thelist] CGI script and CHMOD

Sharon F. Malone sfmalo at 24caratdesign.com
Fri Jan 25 10:33:01 CST 2002

On Friday, January 25, 2002 8:07 AM, Mark Groen wrote:

> Questions:
> 1. Will this work on both a UNIX and a Windows2000 server?
>
> Probably, although they will use different programs for their mail
> functions and the script needs to be written to handle both I think (not
> a CGI expert). I think this script was written for a Unix machine only.
> See SendMail location.

    I just got off the phone with the client's host who said, the Tell-A-Friend script I want to use is UNIX-specific and won't run on their NT (Win2K) server. However, it should on my host.

> Also ask them to confirm that the "shebang" (first)
> line that is included with your script is correct for their server,
> usually it's something like: #!/usr/bin/perl

    Yes, the first line is as you said. I'm going to use this on my own site which does run on a Linux Apache server. So, thank you for the tip.

[snippet] http://www.spaceports.com/~scifi/chmodtutor.html
>  The server admin is usually the only one that is allowed to set
> permissions, but it depends on what type of account you have with your
> host also. That particular tutorial will show you what to do if your
> host allows you to set permissions and you happen to be using WS_ftp.

    Thanks for the link. Mia also sent me two links which I looked at too, so I set the permissions for the .cgi file. Don't know if I was allowed to (<8 but it seemed to work (altho when I went back and clicked on the file again, I had to reset the permissions! Will find out, hopefully, today after host's Data Center gets completely moved and I can talk to a technician. Perhaps I dabbled where I shouldn't have! It doesn't work yet.

Thanks so much for your help.

Sharon
Sharon F. Malone
"web design and Internet writing services"
http://www.24caratdesign.com
sfmalo at 24caratdesign.com