[thelist] SSI and search engines

Sharon F. Malone sfmalo at 24caratdesign.com
Mon Jan 28 07:01:01 CST 2002

On Sunday, January 27, 2002 10:39 PM Benji wrote:

> Michael said...
> > Will a search engine read inside SSI's?  I want to put all my
> > meta tags into
> > the one file then include it on every page in a site I am building. Just
> > wondering if this will cause problems for search engine spiders.
>
> Don't see a problem. Search engine spiders are like browsers in that they
> request the page and process the reply they get. As SSIs are inserted at
> your server, the spider receives the content as it would do a static HTML
> page, it cannot tell the difference.
>
> So, you should be okay.
>
> Benji.
> inchima.com

I have been getting opposite advice as to search engines spidering includes. Since an include file is commented out, I have been told that the included file will -not- be spidered.

This would be rather disastrous especially for navigation links, etc!

???????

Sharon

Sharon F. Malone
"web design and Internet writing services"
http://www.24caratdesign.com
sfmalo at 24caratdesign.com