[thelist] differences in alt vs. title attributes and <h#> tags

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 28 14:24:00 CST 2002

> From: "Bob Boisvert" <webdad at tampabay.rr.com>
[...]
> NN 6.2 doesn't seem to recognize the alt="what I'm writing" but does
> recognize title="what I'm writing" and MSIE 5.5 recognizes both. Is it
> more or less compliant to current HTML standards to use either or both
> within the same tag line? I'm guessing title is more so because it's
> recognized in both browsers.

the W3C suggests that the title attribute is to display as a tool-tip,
while the alt attribute (unique to images) is to display only when
the image isn't available, not as a tool-tip...

this way you can have useful text for non-visual users/browsers
(photo of man with dog) that isn't too verbose for regular users, vs.
tool-tip text (woof!) that isn't too short for non-visual
browsers/users...

> I've also written some CSS to later include as a .css file when I'm
> finalizing but have noticed that for instance the <h2>what I'm
> writing</h2> shows up as a rather bold look to it which is fine but NN
> 6.2 does not have a bold tone to it. Is this because I'm controlling
> the <h2></h2> tags through CSS properties or is this just how NN
> renders the font?.

N(N) and IE render text slightly differently... think back to font days
and how text looked different across browsers... there will be some
difference...

your CSS can minimize it a bit, but without seeing the code, it's
hard to tell if something's busted or it's just rendering differences...