[thelist] Forums

Burhan Khalid burhankh at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 28 21:15:01 CST 2002

Hey Listees :

There was a question about Forums/Message boards on here, so I thought that
I might chime in. As far as cross-language compatibility is concerned, the
only one that I can voice an opinion about is phpnuke (and its various
variants). You need php, and mysql to get it going, but after that, its
completely self-contained. It has a multi-lingual option (which changes
dynamically), and user-defineable language packs/files (which are easy to
create for different languages). The download comes with quite a few
predefined lanugage files (including arabic). So I imagine hebrew is not
that difficult to implement. All concievable options are administrable via
the web, so you could, install it once, and then admin it from anywhere that
you have a net link. The install can be a bit confusing, and you have to get
it right or else the whole shindig goes down faster than you can say format.

Oh, and before I forget, its free and open-source (PHP).

Here are a few links :

http://www.phpnuke.org
http://www.myphpnuke.org < a variant.

There are various other php/mysql forums/storytelling/weblog combos out
there, so a quick google might not hurt.

If you need help installing it, feel free to email me offlist, and I'll be
glad to help you out.

Regards,
Burhan Khalid

<tip type="HTML Authoring" author="Burhan Khalid">
When writing HTML, it helps if you indent your
tags. Especially your table elements (<td>, <tr>, etc.)
This comes in handy when your table doesn't appear as it
is intended, you can just see which tag is missing
its binary pair. This will greatly reduce your scroll time.
The same concept also applies to { } pairs (often used in programming).
</tip>
<tip type="Script Authoring" author="Burhan Khalid">
When scripting for screen output, don't forget your
flow control tags. This comes in handy when you are
trying to debug a script's output. Instead of having
one long line of html, you will have a nicely formatted
html that you can decipher. Using this with the previous
tip will not only make you an effecient coder, but will
reduce your debug time, and get you praise from
other fellow coders who happen to read your work
</tip>