[thelist] Upgrading to a data driven website...

Norman Beresford n.beresford at anansi.co.uk
Tue Jan 29 14:50:01 CST 2002

Hi all

I've got to take exception to Chris's "don't use Access" line.  Different
tools for different jobs.  If you're working on IIS you'll find it a lot
easier to use Access then mySQL.  Although Access doesn't have the strenghts
of mySQL (or a enterprise database), depending on how efficient your
code/business processes are you'll find that Access can probably handle the
load that 'most' sites will handle (evolt used to run on an Access backend).
While there are definate limits to simultanious connections (up to about 12
if my memory serves me right), there's no reason to be using it that often.
Most of your pages are going to be static, and how many template uploads are
you going to have at any one time?

Having said that you're on Apache now, so you'll probably find it easiest to
use PHP/JSP, then pissing about with Chillisoft.  It really all comes down
to what you want to learn, on what platform.

Norman