[thelist] double space between sentences

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 30 00:50:00 CST 2002

> From: Erik Mattheis <gozz at gozz.com>
>
> Hmmm ... it would seem not to ... a space is content in my book. I'm
> mainly just wondering if anybody knows if there are browsers which
> will start a new line with a space if you use a &nbsp; followed by a
> typed space to create a double space.

never heard of one... and very rarely do i see the double space
force a leading space on a new line because it wraps between the
two... however, go to the article (http://evolt.org/article/list/25/213/)
and see what happens... i hard-coded a pair of &nbsp;s after every
period...

> >I can't think of a good reason for using it with online documents.
>
> Well, if a client wants it, it's a good reason ... I plan to send
> Aardvark's article tomorrow and see if they still want double spaces.
[...]

poor system fonts and poor font rendering can make reading on-
screen display very similar to reading monospaced fonts... kerning
is moot, and letters go where there are pixels on the screen to
display them...

keep in mind that the article is really only talking about special
cases:
- poor fonts in multimedia (and some print) that don't have proper
spacing...
- justified text where the spacing is different from line to line so
space after a period is inconsistent...

it's also just opinion... no hard data to back it up, although one of
these days i'd love to do user testing on that under the
circumstances i've cited...

btw, lemme know (offlist) how the article is received... some of my
agency clients were offended by it...