[thelist] Any opinions on these IA/Design books?

Ben Phillips ben at inchima.com
Wed Jan 30 10:02:00 CST 2002

> > Anyone read this book?:
> >
> > Design for Community: The Art of Connecting Real People in
> > Virtual Places --
> > Derek M. Powazek
>
> No but I know the guy from his websites and he's serious.
>
> Look for www.designforcommunity.com
> It's a community site for community sites designers/managers
> (off the top of my head, so maybe it's not exactly this domain)
> Otherwise googlize it ;-)

That is the right domain. The book is very very good, a lot better than I
expected it to be tbh. It handles the problems that (always) occur with
communities online very well, explaining causes and possible solutions.
There is a lot of advice you will remember when the situation does pop up in
real life. Good for reference too.

Amy Jo Kim's 'Community Building On The Web' is another great community tool
design book, still my favourite.

Benji.
inchima.com