[thelist] Microsoft to aquire Macromedia?

Ben Dyer ben_dyer at imaginuity.com
Wed Jan 30 11:00:01 CST 2002

On 10:42 AM 1/30/2002, Seth Bienek said to me:

>Not to be alarmist or anything, but... Anyone had a look at
>http://www.f---edcompany.com this morning?
>
>"Big rumors abound in Macromedia land... word is the company is in dire
>straights and that discussions between Macromedia and Microsoft are in the
>works. Acquisition? Possibly... probably just Flash, DreamWeaver, and
>UltraDev -- and in the meanwhile, kill off MS ASP competitor (not really)
>ColdFusion. Who knows about FreeHand and Director... Layoffs imminent."
>
>Not sure what the source of his info is..  Anyone got the scoop on this?

Source seems to be some posts on a Yahoo! message board about MACR.  No
news organizations have picked up on it, however.

<http://messages.yahoo.com/bbs?.mm=FN&action=m&board=4688149&tid=macr&sid=4688149&mid=25753>

I'd take the "news" with a considerable grain of salt.

But, OTOH, would I put it past Microsoft to buy them or Macromedia to sell
out?  Nope.

Might be good news for Adobe, though.  If Microsoft *were* to buy
Macromedia and they started tinkering with their products (as they always
do), it could be a boon for GoLive and Illustrator...

Anyways, it's all random speculation until we get a yea or nay.

--Ben

http://www.imaginuity.com/

     If you save the world too often, it begins to expect it.