[thelist] Microsoft to aquire Macromedia?

John Dowdell jdowdell at macromedia.com
Wed Jan 30 14:11:00 CST 2002

At 8:42 AM 1/30/2, Seth Bienek wrote:
> Not to be alarmist or anything, but... Anyone had a look at
> http://www.f---edcompany.com this morning?
> Not sure what the source of his info is..  Anyone got the scoop on this?

Yes, it would be nice if something could be falsified in some way, wouldn't
it? Spreading non-falsifiable rumors is separate from saying things.

You might consider that, if there were some real attribution, some real
basis, that it would appear in the original thread. Spreading it elsewhere
asking if anyone has additional info does not seem the soundest strategy
for checking it... you'd see what evidence they offer themselves.

Assume such a thing were true... how would the most widely-sold J2EE
application server be handled? (That's Macromedia JRun.) They couldn't use
it, couldn't sell it, couldn't keep it... figuring out that showstopper
would be a necessary first step in assuming that such a story were true.
Then you have to figure what would happen to ColdFusion, which is a major
part of the company's future. Would Dreamweaver be thrown away in favor of
FrontPage? comarketed? Neither seems to make sense, but that can't stop
such a rumor either.

See? There's no way to falsify it. Spreading it is what it thrives on. If
you can bear to, go listen to the garbage in that nasty-company.com site
itself and see if you can find any useful nuggets in there, before
soliciting/spreading it elsewhere.

(I'm not coming down on you personally, Seth. It's just that I could be
doing other work now, and am instead chasing down this timewaster from list
to list.)

(Thanks, Bill, for the pointer to where Matt invested time in his day in
trying to stop this.)

jd